Stocks To Watch: Cairn India, GVK Power, Idea, Maruti Suzuki
Thursday, Apr 7 - Morning brief for the stock market:
* Revenue secretary Mitra says IFRS not conducive for taxation purposes (FE)
* ADB lowers GDP forecast to 8.2% on high crude oil prices (Var)
TOP EVENTS TODAY
* Government to detail primary articles inflation for week to Mar 26
* Oct-Dec earnings to be detailed by: GM Breweries.
* Annual General Meet of: KSB Pumps.
* Board Meetings of:
+ Enrich Industries, to consider increase in authorized share capital.
+ Surya Pharmaceutical, to consider allotment of share on warrants conversion.
INDICATORS (previous session)
* NSE provisional net buy/(sale) in bln rupees, Apr 6: FII 5.28, DII (5.31)
* Institutional net buy/(sale) in bln rupees, Apr 5: FIIs 3.01
* FII NSE futures net buy/(sale) in bln rupee, Apr 6: index (1.17), shr (3.05)
* Sensex 19612.20, down 74.62 points; Nifty 5891.75, down 18.30 points.
* Crude: $108.83/bbl; Rupee: 44.16/$1; Gold: $1,455.10/ounce; 10-yr yld: 7.9870%
* Local equities are likely to see a flat opening today as suggested by SGX CNX Nifty April futures, with downside, if any, seen limited as buying may emerge on every dips.
GLOBAL STOCK MARKETS
* US share indices ended up on Wednesday, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average index closing at a 28-month high helped by gains in Cisco Systems.
* Key Asian indices were flat to marginally weak in early trade today, but Japan's Nikkei rose on bargain buying after falling for the last two sessions.
* AUTOMOBILE: Italy's Maserati drives into India with 12-15 mln rupee cars.
Hero Group is likely to develop a motorcycle of below 40,000 rupees to retain its market share in entry-level segment. (DNA Money)
* ECONOMY: Standard and Poor's sees India's gross domestic product growth at 8.3% in 2011-12 (Apr-Mar); S&P says outlook on long-term India sovereign credit rating table.
* ENERGY: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has cleared a proposal to set up a National Clean Energy Fund.
* FARM: Food Corp of India will soon seek the government's approval for fresh equity infusion of 100 bln rupees and a 50-bln-rupee bond issue.
Cabinet panel OKs 50 rupee per 100 kg bonus on wheat minimum support price.
* INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: Genpact has acquired US-based information technology services company Headstrong Corp for $550 mln in an all-cash deal.
* INFRASTRUCTURE: Road ministry has formed a committee on setting up an electronic toll collection system on the highways of India.
* PORTS: Freight traffic handled by major ports in the country rose a paltry 1.6% in the year ended March to 569.91 mln tn.
* PRIVATE EQUITY: Investments by PE firms in Indian companies surged nearly 55% on year in Jan-Mar, according to research firm Venture Intelligence.
* TAXATION: OIL AND NATURAL GAS CORP, STATE BANK OF INDIA, RELIANCE INDUSTRIES India's top tax-payers in 2010-11 (Apr-Mar).
The income tax department has slapped the Employees' Provident Fund Organisation with a tax demand of 70 bln rupees for failing to tax premature withdrawals. (ET)
The Income Tax Department has imposed 20-bln-rupee tax claim on 15 foreing institutional investors for not disclosing all their investments. (BS)
* BALRAMPUR CHINI MILLS: Says bought back 184,366 shares on Apr 6.
* BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS: Paid 28 bln rupee as tax in 2010-11 (Apr-Mar) as against 18.7 bln last year.
* BHARAT PETROLEUM CORP: the 6-mln-tn Bina refinery in Madhya Pradesh will start commercial production in coming weeks. (BL)
* CAIRN INDIA: Ministerial panel is now expected to take decision on Vedanta's $10-bln deal to acquire majority stake in the company only after the ongoing assembly elections in various states.
* CHANDNI TEXTILES ENGINEERING: To mull 10-for-1 stock split Apr 15.
* ESSAR SHIPPING PORTS & LOGISTICS: To complete the spin off of its shipping arm next month. (DNA Money)
* GVK POWER & INFRASTRUCTURE: Is talking to financial investors including private equity majors 3i, Actis and Macquarie to raise $1.5 bln for acquiring Australia's Hancock Coal. (ET)
* IDEA CELLULAR: Telecom ministry to impose 3-bln-rupee penalty on the company for holding more than 10% stake in two mobile companies in six regions of the country. (ET)
* INDIAN HOTELS CO: Is eyeing revenue of $2 bln in the next four to five years on high growth in room inventory and bounce back in average room rates.
* INFINITE COMPUTER: To mull share buyback Monday.
* JYOTHY LABORATORIES: Gets a line of credit worth 6 bln rupees from ICICI Bank to fund HENKEL INDIA LTD acquisition. (Mint)
* MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA: Is planning to foray into premium car segment by launching Ssangyong vehicles. To shift Boeing unit, which it acquired in Australia, to Bengaluru. (BS)
* MARUTI SUZUKI INDIA: Is recalling 13,157 diesel engine cars of its Swift, Dzire and Ritz models for a faulty connecting rod bolt.
* MAHARAJA SHREE UMAID MILLS: Said it will receive 5.81 bln rupees on sale of its stake in ANDHRA PRADESH PAPER MILLS to US-based International Paper Co.
* NEYVELI LIGNITE: 2010-11 power generation 17.88 bln units.
* OIL AND NATURAL GAS: Paid 85 bln rupees as corporate tax 2010-11 (Apr-Mar) as against 63 bln rupees paid last year.
To outsource gas production activities at some of its isolated wells in KG basin to other companies on a production sharing basis. (PTI)
* RADICO KHAITAN: Will market Japan-based Suntory's Yamazaki and Hibiki brand of whiskies in India, brands to hit market by July. (ET)
* RELIANCE INDUSTRIES: Paid 42 bln rupee as tax in 2010-11 (Apr-Mar) as against 31 bln rupees last year.
Fertiliser companies have asked Reliance industries to compensate for the losses arising out of the shortfall in supply of gas from KG-D6 basin. (BS)
* RELIANCE INFRASTRUCTURE: Honeywell India's former president Anil Gupta is expected to join Reliance Infrastructure as the president of infrastructure division. (ET)
* SANTOWIN CORP: To mull raising up to $198 mln via FCCB, GDR.
* SATYAM COMPUTER SERVICES: Supreme Court has ordered status quo till Friday on the 6.17-bln-rupee demand raised by the Income Tax Department on the company.
Relisting on US bourses likely to take 6-8 months. (Mint)
* SHIV-VANI OIL & GAS: Approves raising up to 5 bln rupees via QIP.
* STATE BANK OF INDIA: Paid 61.6 bln rupee as tax for 2010-11 (Apr-Mar) as against 65.6 bln last year.
Government appoints Pratip Chaudhuri as new Chairman of the bank.
* STEEL AUTHORITY OF INDIA: Paid 24 bln rupees as tax in 2010-11 (Apr-Mar) as against 33 bln last year.
* TATA STEEL: Paid 28 bln rupees as tax in 2010-11 (Apr-Mar) as against 18 bln rupees last year.
"If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their LIFE, then it means they had never tried a new thing in their LIFE" - Albert Einstein
Invite friends, colleagues and associates to join the Informed Investor mailing list
STOCKS DISCUSSED ON THIS LIST ARE ONLY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES AND ARE NOT RECOMMENDED INVESTMENTS. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH OR CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL ADVISER BEFORE INVESTING.
You are subscribed to the "informed investor" mailing list #
Our email id: firstname.lastname@example.org #
Our web address: http://groups.google.com/group/informed-investor?hl=en
To unsubscribe: email@example.com #